Villanova, Pennsylvania

Once home to the Lenni Lenape Indians, the land was first settled in 1663-1665 by a group of Quakers from Radnorshire, Wales. Seeking religious freedom, the settlers immigrated to a 5,000 acre section they purchased from William Penn, which had been granted him by the Crown. Radnor Township, home to Villanova University, was officially founded in 1682 in what was known at the time as Penn's Greene Countrie.